Dear Summit Olympus Parents,
On behalf of all of the faculty at Summit Olympus, we are so excited to welcome you to the 2017-18 school year! We are looking forward to a productive partnership with you to ensure that your children can achieve their highest potential at our school, with the ultimate aim of preparing them for success in college, career, and life.
As you know, the 2017-18 school year marks our third year of school and our first class of Juniors! Whatever grade your students is in, they are joining a growing, evolving, and ever improving school that is full of adults who authentically care about your child and are passionate about building the best school in Tacoma. Some of the things we are most excited for the upcoming year include:
- Our first College Readiness course! All Juniors will be taking a course with their mentor group that is built to help them explore colleges, learn about admission requirements, prepare their applications, and discuss “right fit” options for themselves in the future.
- We are adopting, building, and adapting a comprehensive Social-Emotional Learning curriculum that will include specific personal development work and circle sharing for students. This model has been proven to improve community and emotional resiliency in the face of challenges students face in high school and beyond.
- Our students will experience elective and enrichment opportunities every Friday through restructuring our Expeditions program! Students will have something to look forward to at the end of every week, and our faculty will have more time for professional development.
- We are working hard to increase student voice and choice at our school in structured and systematic ways. Specifically, we are eager to launch our sports program, including boys and girls basketball and soccer. We will also have our first year of an elected student council that will support and advise school leadership to ensure student voices are heard.
This all, of course, in addition to maintaining a high focus on the learning and academic progress of each of your children. As your partners in your children’s success, we ask that you guide and support your child’s learning by ensuring that he/she:
- Attends school daily, arrives on time, and is ready for the day’s learning experiences,
- Completes all homework assigned by teachers and regularly checks grades,
- Shares school experiences with you so that you are aware of his/her school life,
- Talks about school with you, and that you each communicate any questions or concerns as soon as they come up with the school so they can be addressed,
- Knows that you expect him/her to succeed in school and be prepared for college,
Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions about the coming school year. We are so excited to get started!
School Leadership | Greg Ponikvar, Alex Horowitz, and Jessica Miranda